City Building Games & Forums
July 30, 2014, 04:16:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: CityBuilderGames.com is a gaming community made up of city building game enthusiasts that love such games as SimCity 4, Cities XL 2011, Anno 1701 and Anno 1404, all of the Tropico series of games and more.

Come discuss your favorite City Building game in our message forums that we have setup for all of the games listed above and so many more.  Registration is free and only takes a couple of minutes.

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 04:16:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent Topics
[July 27, 2014, 06:27:32 AM]

[July 25, 2014, 02:04:33 PM]

[July 25, 2014, 11:03:08 AM]

[July 20, 2014, 08:31:39 AM]

[July 18, 2014, 10:36:34 PM]

[July 18, 2014, 10:44:38 AM]

[July 16, 2014, 09:55:36 AM]

[July 13, 2014, 11:55:51 AM]

[July 13, 2014, 03:20:49 AM]

[July 03, 2014, 11:37:17 PM]
Click the plus on this block if you did not receive your activation email when registering on this site
If you registered for membership on this site but have not yet received the confirmation activation email, there are 3 main reasons.

1. It ended up in your junk or spam folder, please look there to see if it's in there.

2. You did not enter your correct email address.  Please register with a new username and the correct email address and try again.

3. Your IP address and or your Email Address is listed in the Stop Forum Spam (spam protection) database as a known spammer and when either your IP address and or your email address appears in that database, your account can not be approved.  As such if you are a spammer, please move along, our community is too small for you to bother with.  If you are NOT a spammer, contact the owners of Stop Forum Spam and get your information removed from their database and register a new account.
Permissions

Members
Total Members: 3904
Latest: japboi
Stats
Total Posts: 31533
Total Topics: 2833
Online Today: 60
Online Ever: 273
(March 26, 2011, 05:00:14 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 29
CityBuilderGames.com! When you need a break from games of destruction, come here to discuss games of construction!

No matter the name of the game, we've got you covered here at City Builder Games.  Forums, downloads and much more are awaiting you here at the Citybuildergames.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From Dust - Coming Soon  (Read 5462 times)
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »

I am looking forward to trying out the game but unfortunately I cant see your pics CB!  Crying
Probably because their not pics, their youtube videos, one must have the right flash installed to their browser to see them.

Would you believe it, I read on Gamesfront last night that Ubisoft have announced that the launch date of From Dust has been pushed back to Aug 17th without giving a reason but the site suspects they want to have more time to tweak the anti piracy protection. Some hope! I hope they don't put that draconian DRM on it that ruined Settlers 7 which stopped loads of honest gamers enjoying it and which the pirates had managed to crack in 10 days. 

I give it little thought that it's because they want to tweak the DRM as much as I do that they want to tweak the game itself to make it perform as best they can at release.  I'm keeping an optimistic outlook on it, and not listening to all the DRM objectionists that are on the ubi forums anymore.  They annoy me terribly. I've yet to have any game not play due to DRM so I'm not going to start worrying about it now.

"Meat is Murder" - tasty tasty murder!
- I'm NOT a bird, I do NOT tweet

-= RIP Weston =-
Nov 26, 2005 - July 15, 2010
Khalan
City Attorney

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »

Here's some impressions from the console version:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/27/from-dust-review/

Bearing in mind that he's about halfway through and the game could open up more - it seems more to be about solving puzzles in fairly specific ways.
At this point, though, Im trying to reconcile the idea of a highly flexible game of terraforming and omnipotence the trailers had seemed to sell me with the reality of From Dust. That reality is closer to a puzzle game with fairly pre-determined answers, but the option to wander off and experiment with the minutiae of terraforming, rather than unleash its bigger picture.
Puzzles must be solved in broadly the way it wants you to solve its puzzles. Lateral thinking wont beat them.
From Dust may well prove a victim of its players expectations because its made by the guy who made the revered Another World, because it appeared to be the long awaited return of god games in the Populous vein and, frankly, because the likes of Minecraft, Terraria and Wurm Online mean were starting to become rather accustomed to extraordinary degrees of sandbox construction/destruction freedom.

On a positive note:
Without ever actually breaking its own rules, From Dust is supremely clever at mixing its few but strong elements up.
Because From Dust does offer wonder, and a more gentle kind of omnipotence.
Right now, Im playing to get through, but I know Im going to come back simply to indulge myself, to endlessly answer the never-closing question that is what happens if I do this?
I hear tantalising talk the last level finally opens up its sandbox veins fully, which is something I shall absolutely persevere for. It is often, however, a pleasant waking dream of a game, and one that rewards the careful observer, thoughtful designer and measured experimenter far more than it does the wannabe old testament deity.
rangent
City Council

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:36:49 AM »

MaxCos!  Thanks for the heads up!

Also, thanks for the update Khalan.
Bruschev
City Auditor

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:22 AM »

downloaded the trial on xbox, graphics are definitely awesome, I love the sea, it is definitely terrifying, I havn't experienced a tsunami yet, but my god they look sublime. The cursor can be a little awkward with different perspectives sometimes. Not really what I thought it would be, collecting the sand from the ground and placing it in places to help the mask face people or whatever they are, get around. heh.

I also like the fact that the game doesn't punish you if the mask tribe faces guys die, it would be really annoying if it did and make it just to frustrating as everything just wants to kill you.
Bruschev
City Auditor

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:23:42 AM »

Jeeez, sure is something when a tsunami comes at you, a giant crack and wobble, followed with an immense wall of water.. quite something..

I'd also like to add, how, I was trying to redirect a river, by trying to make a bridge out of sand, found it washed away, so kept sourcing the sand from another area, and noticed that all the sand had washed down and started to create a delta heh.
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:10 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uk-phXoqvBs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/uk-phXoqvBs&rel=1</a>

-= RIP Weston =-
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 08:56:35 PM »

And heres a video on xbox that shows some good gameplay.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gEuIBNdMuPI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gEuIBNdMuPI&rel=1</a>

-= RIP Weston =-
Seron
City Council

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 05:27:45 AM »

Probably because their not pics, their youtube videos, one must have the right flash installed to their browser to see them.

Yep, I can see them now. Though I had to use Mozilla Firefox instead of IE to view them. Thanks.
Bruschev
City Auditor

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

I have been playing around with rivers a lot in the trial, took me about 4 hours, but I made it so the entire map, from edge to edge, was covered in sand. Rivers carry a small sand deposit down the stream to form deltas and alike. Quite a fun game to toy around with, would love to see something like this in a city builder game.
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 12:56:37 AM »

Well I preordered it on steam, looking forward to doing some fun terraforming.

If anybody here playing it has posted any videos of it, please let us know.

-= RIP Weston =-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: