City Building Games & Forums
April 23, 2014, 01:18:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: When you need a break from games of destruction, come here to talk about games of construction.

CityBuilderGames.com

Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register   *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent Topics
[April 22, 2014, 12:10:44 AM]

[April 18, 2014, 11:55:59 AM]

[April 18, 2014, 08:57:10 AM]

by Face
[April 16, 2014, 09:20:42 AM]

[April 15, 2014, 06:50:22 AM]

[April 14, 2014, 02:53:36 PM]

[April 10, 2014, 05:57:39 PM]

[April 10, 2014, 05:10:56 PM]

[April 10, 2014, 02:11:04 AM]

by Face
[April 09, 2014, 03:18:16 PM]
Click the plus on this block if you did not receive your activation email when registering on this site
If you registered for membership on this site but have not yet received the confirmation activation email, there are 3 main reasons.

1. It ended up in your junk or spam folder, please look there to see if it's in there.

2. You did not enter your correct email address.  Please register with a new username and the correct email address and try again.

3. Your IP address and or your Email Address is listed in the Stop Forum Spam (spam protection) database as a known spammer and when either your IP address and or your email address appears in that database, your account can not be approved.  As such if you are a spammer, please move along, our community is too small for you to bother with.  If you are NOT a spammer, contact the owners of Stop Forum Spam and get your information removed from their database and register a new account.
Permissions

Members
Total Members: 3586
Latest: Deckiller
Stats
Total Posts: 31331
Total Topics: 2799
Online Today: 23
Online Ever: 273
(March 26, 2011, 05:00:14 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 25
CityBuilderGames.com! When you need a break from games of destruction, come here to discuss games of construction!

No matter the name of the game, we've got you covered here at City Builder Games.  Forums, downloads and much more are awaiting you here at the Citybuildergames.com

Poll
Question: Will you buy Settlers 7 with the current Online DRM?
Yes, I'll buy it with this DRM - 19 (38.8%)
No, I won't buy it with this DRM - 22 (44.9%)
Still Undecided - 8 (16.3%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you buy Settlers 7 with the current Online DRM?  (Read 11281 times)
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 03:36:18 AM »

If I remember right Khalan, you are in Australia right?  There is speculation that the game wasn't supposed to go on sale in AUS until April 1 and which is why the server is not accepting connections from the players in Australia.  If you're not over there, then probably a whole other problem.

One of the threads on the ubisoft forums is full of people that have that message all the time, many of them from Australia.

Of course if you've been reading their forums I'm sure you've already seen all the posts from your fellow countrymates that have the same issue I would guess. (assuming that's where you live of course)

"Meat is Murder" - tasty tasty murder!
- I'm NOT a bird, I do NOT tweet

-= RIP Weston =-
Nov 26, 2005 - July 15, 2010
Khalan
City Attorney

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:17:19 AM »

Yes, I'm in Australia, and it does seem to be mostly Aussies in the threads.  I've seen a few from Asia and Europe as well.  Hope it gets sorted soon.
Anguille
City Council

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »

Not buying  Thumbs Down
Khalan
City Attorney

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 02:12:22 AM »

Not surprised.  It's been almost a week since many people haven't been able to play, been a couple of days for me.  At least now they've discovered the issue apparently.

UPDATE:
We have tracked down the issue - it's a problem that occurs when linking your keys to the multiplayer profile.  Ubisoft GNS and TG-OPS are currently working on a solution - I'll keep you updated.

Once (or IF) they get the issue sorted I (and hopefully Pat and CB, and any others who own the game here) will let everyone else know how the DRM is going and whether we can actually play regularly or not.  Although I don't think CB has had any issues so far.

The game better be good after all this.
City Builder
City Governor
Governor
City Mayor

-=R.I.P. Weston=-

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 03:51:06 AM »

I've only had two issues thus far, both times the game disconnected from the ubisoft DRM server while I was in the middle of playing a game, and both times I saved the game from the menu and exited to the desktop as that's what the game allows after it can't connect to the The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom ubisoft DRM servers.

Both times that it happend to me, I immediately went to the ubisoft official The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom forums to post a rant about being disconnected and not being able to play, and both times the forum was also dead.  Meanwhile in another tab in my browser I went to about 6 other websites to check my connection and it was fine.  My guess on those occasions was that the server was so overloaded with people trying to play the game that the hamster running the wheel had a stroke and they had to replace it.

// Me Rant?  Such a mild mannered happy go lucky guy post a rant on the official forums?  I'm sure none of you would be surprised that I have a dual personality, one that is mild mannered and happy over here and the other that is not afraid to lay into a developer and or publisher on their own forums.  Hmmm, go figure.

"Meat is Murder" - tasty tasty murder!
- I'm NOT a bird, I do NOT tweet

-= RIP Weston =-
Nov 26, 2005 - July 15, 2010
MickyD
City Clerk

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »

it is my experience that those who complain about DRM requiring you to be online all the time spend the majority of their time on the internet anyway.   sort of nullifies their argument.

re "if the server is down you cant play", well the same can be said for COD fans wanting to play multiplayer, the majority of which dont play single player campaigns.   in the COD multiplayer scenario you must be online even if there is no DRM.   you dont hear them moan

if it works for COD it works for anything else i would think.

-------------
cheers,
MickyD
hcgb: mickyd.  wordpress.  com
Khalan
City Attorney

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »

That's because most people have common sense enough to realize that multiplayer on servers requires internet access.  The online DRM applying to single-player is the issue - what if I want to play the game on a train or a hotel room without wifi?  What if my internet drops out, or the authentication servers are down - I can't play my single-player game?  Is that actually reasonable to you?

Single-player always-on DRM only affects legitimate purchases - the pirates get to play the superior version with no such limitations.

These quotes sum things up nicely in my opinion:

Christofer Sundberg, founder of Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios, believes that DRM does nothing but punish legitimate customers, and is far from the solution to PC piracy that publishers proclaim it to be.
"I don't like always-on DRM solutions at all, since they offer nothing to the consumer. If you continuously give something extra for registering and being online, and award them for actually paying for and playing your game, it'd be different, but always-on DRM only says: 'Thank you for buying our game, we trust you as far as we can throw you."
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/avalanche-drm-helps-no-one

Always On is by far and away the most egregiously stupid and unfair DRM to have ever been included with a game. It is of a level of such punitory idiocy that means if you do something so heinous, so criminal, as to have your internet connection drop while you’re playing, you get dumped out of the game.

With DRM that requires an internet connection to launch, every time, you are once again mindlessly and needlessly punishing your legitimate customers in a way that will not affect those with pirated copies. You will, once again, be selling a product with a serious and significant defect, that those who download it for free will not be encountering. There’s no logic or rationale that makes that okay. By requiring an internet connection for launch, on every launch, you punish anyone whose internet isn’t working, who wants to play away from home (on a train, on a plane, on a holiday in Cornwall, at their grandparents’ house, in their barracks…), or who cannot afford a broadband internet connection. It is cruel. It is stupid. It doesn’t work on any level. If you are listening, really listening, then stop this. Stop treating customers like criminals, and start showing respect to those who pay you significant amounts of money for your products.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/ubisoft-listens-barely-changes-driver-drm/
nobody
City Clerk

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »

I just finished the Settlers 6 Original Campaign, so I wouldnt be buying The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom in any case.  I still got a lot of play time with the single missions and expansion.
Being an older person, I dont survive in multiplayer long enough to enjoy the experiance.
The series is. . . well. . . a bit too simple to play singleplayer for more than a single mission before moving onto something more challenging until the next time I just want a relaxing play session.

The whole DRM thing is rather ridiculous being it just fuels the pirated underground versions that tend to strip out all the protection and then actually fix glitchy/buggy stuff as a bonus.
I have seen publishers and developers come and go, so in the long term such methods are more likely to kill a game series then wring out extra drops of profit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: